Friday 21 December 2012

Career Counselling... Do You Really Need It???



We have all been in the need of Career counseling at the start of our career. We needed direction, vision and morale boosting advice from someone who is an expert in such manners. We all were provided great deal of support from our Students' Union in the university but what I want to know and understand is, do we not need this help once we become part of a professional work place?


Here I wish for any one who is reading this to please let me know of their opinion regarding this. As far as I am concerned, I believe that at some point in our professional life, no matter how big or small our experience may be, we need some professional advice to give our career growth a path and a direction. You can probably sense I need some advice at this very moment, and I am hoping for your reviews on it.


Recently I took help of my best friend- my Mother regarding a few hurdles I was facing within myself while working as an Overseas Business Development Consultant for a company that is a jewelry display manufacturer and is a supplier of jewelry packing and jewelry display props. The problem I faced was if I was in the right direction? Am I really learning the corporate culture? Would this experience help me grow? These and many other questions had kept meddling with my mind and I can't thank my mother enough to help me sorth them out. For many it might not seem exciting enough, the tasks I perform, but I have managed to understand the essence of my work now. The corporate relation I have been able to build in the recent months is an achievement for me, the tools of marketing I have been able to use, the strategies and the results are overwhelming for me at least. This is self motivating and I hope to reap more out of it. 

In a nutshell, what my Super Mom helped me identify is that it's upto me if I want to learn from my actions or wait for them to teach me one! Waiting for your take on this...


Many thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment